- Many times, people are stuck with old mattresses for too long. It gets to a point where your bed becomes your new killer. Back pain, uncomfortable mattress coils and overheating are some of the signs of an unhealthy sleep.
- If you are one of these people, then you need to start thinking about a newer, healthier mattress. According to us, the best mattress under $500 is a great place to start finding alternatives.
- In many instances, people will think that spending more means you will be getting higher quality mattresses. This argument might not apply in all cases. It is important to do your research thoroughly so that you have an idea of the quality and value you are investing in.
A Review of The Best Mattresses Under $500
Here is our handpicked selection of the mattresses with a grand bargain. Let's get to it!
- Very comfortable memory foam
- The foam minimizes movement at night
- Keeps you cool at night
- CertiPUR-US certified
- A 25-year no-hassle warranty. Be sure to check their terms first
- Mild off-gassing while still new. The solution is to leave the mattress for at least 72 hours in an aerated environment.
- Can get a little warm during the hotter months
Proprietary gel mattress technology enhanced airflow, and memory foam is what describe this product from Perfect Cloud. This innovative product also falls under the $500 mark. Though designed in the USA, it gets manufactured in Taiwan. The result is a competitive product at an affordable price.
This mattress consists of 5 key components:
- The top portion of the outer cover is knitted and removable
- The first layer is a 3 -inch infused gel memory foam
- The second layer is a 3-inch Double AirFlow Comfy Foam which is relatively soft
- The bottom layer is a 4-inch high-density foam for support
- The lower portion of the outer cover is dark suede for a chic finish and feel
The design of the memory foam and the comfort foam make a combination of softness and adaptability to the contours of your body as you sleep. This mattress performs well especially with side sleepers or even combination sleepers.
- Competitive price point
- You can expect an astounding ten years of usage
- Comes in a variety of sizes including Twin, Full, Queen and King
- Can have the off-gas. Please allow up to 48 hours for the smell to dissipate
- You have to use a foundation; otherwise, you risk sagging the mattress over time
- Comes with a 1-year limited warranty
This mattress is different because it has a combination of both spring and memory foam technology. Inside the layers, there are springs that work to provide you with a comfortable sleeping experience.
The design of the 8-inch thick mattress is such that there is a dense foam above the layer of spring coils. On top of this foam is a beautiful polyester cotton cover. As you might have noticed by now, the relatively rigid design is ideal for those who suffer from back pain.
However, the mattress is still soft enough to also accommodate side sleepers because of the soft but dense foam. Something else to remember is it requires a good foundation for the best performance.
- These mattresses are versatile fitting all sorts of bed frames (trundle beds, day beds, box springs, bunk beds, platform beds and more)
- Made from safe chemicals meaning you are also sleeping safely
- Customers have praised the mattress’ durability
- Competitive price with excellent quality
- Comes with a small transportation-friendly package
- Comes with a 10-year warranty
- Some clients have found it to be less firm after short period
- You cannot flip and use the other side
- You may have to pay an extra fee to return the product
Zinus is the company behind this fantastic product. With 25 years of experience under the belt, you can expect exceptional craftsmanship. All their mattresses are CertiPUR-US certified meaning the materials are made using safe approved chemicals.
Wide Variety of Sizes And Thickness
The mattress Sleep Master Ultima comes in 5 sizes (Twin, Full, Queen, King and California King) as well as three different sizes (8-Inch, 10-Inch, and 12-Inch). Each mattress gets constructed using three layers of foam mattress:
- The top is good quality memory foam
- The middle is a comfort foam for pressure relief
- The bottom is high-quality, high-density support foam
A key selling point of these mattresses is that they are shipped from the manufacturer to the customer directly. You will not have to deal with any middle men. The only problem is that there is no way for you to test the product before you buy it. Therefore, we advise you keenly listen to what reviewers have to say before buying.
- Comfortable and in some instances helped ease back pain thanks to the multiple layers
- Excellent temperature control by the memory foam
- Can support up to 265lbs on either side without exhibiting signs of wear
- Comes with a pair of gel pillows, FREE!
- Comes with a small transportation-friendly package
- 30-year warranty
- Might feel a little too firm while new
- Extra care needed when washing and drying especially. If unsure, dry in the wind
- The brand is yet to get popularized, but this should not be much of a concern
- Some might notice the plastic-like odor while still new
This mattress falls just above the $500-dollar ceiling, and it seems like the previous buyers have never looked backed once their purchase. The 12-inch thickness is one of the great pluses. No matter how heavy or how many you choose to throw yourself on this one, you will always be cozy.
Layers of Goodness
The mattress has four layers inside the 2-inch fire barrier:
- 3-inch Gel Infused Memory Foam
- 2-inch Airflow Foam layer
- 2-inch Airflow Foam layer
- 5-inch Base Foam Layer (High Density)
The mattress consists of gel-infused memory foam. This unique foam adapts to your body contour in whichever sleeping position you choose. Buyers have particularly highlighted that it has helped in relieving back pain.
- Very competitive price point
- 10 year-warranty
- Comes in an excellent transportation friendly package
- Customers love the soft feel of the mattress top calling it ‘cloud-like.'
- Customers praise the fact that the mattress does not run hot
- Some customers complained about it being too soft for them
When it comes to simplicity, makers of this particular mattress did a good job attaining that. Their mattresses are CertiPUR-US certified which means the chemicals used are safe for you in the long-run.
Variety of Sizes And Thickness
There is a variety of sizes (Full, Queen, King and California King) and depth (8-inch, 10-inch, and 12-inch). For their 12-inch mattress, for instance, there is a 2.5-inch memory foam, a 3-inch super soft foam for pressure relief and a 6.5-inch high-density support foam.
This combination results in a mattress that is very cozy and minimizes pressure points.
- Coils offer excellent support and pressure distribution
- Competitive price
- Nicely small package
- Good for stomach sleepers
- Has a firm feel which might not get liked by those who expect a soft mattress
- Does not come with any certifications from any medical bodies
- The memory foam might be thinner than displayed by the manufacturer
You can get this mattress either as a Queen Size, King Size, Full or Twin. These sizes can be ideal for standard and full bed frames. Even for these sizes, the company manages to pack the products in a compressed form that is easy to transport.
Coils for Better Support And Durability
This mattress has coils which get nested between the top memory and a bottom support foam layer. The company has invested in 480 coils in each mattress. The advantage of these coils is that they offer better comfort and support. They will also enable you to move on the bed without affecting your partner.
A Quick Guide To Selecting The Mattress Specifically For Your Needs
1. Age Of Your Mattress Currently
The first point to starting on choosing a mattress is to take a look at the one you are using today. How old is it? An average quality mattress (memory foam, innerspring, hybrid, pillowtop) should last about eight years before you should consider replacing it. Some high-end mattresses (typically latex) will go past the eight-year mark and still maintain the same performance.
Try to look back at your sleeping pattern since you bought your mattress. Look at these factors to know if your mattress is not helping you anymore.
- You have become restless or kept turning a lot during the night
- You have been running hot during the night
- You are developing some pain or fatigue when you get up in the morning
- The mattress has a sunken spot where you sleep and is no longer firm
2. Type of Mattress
We are all different types of sleepers. Some people are back sleepers, side sleepers, stomach sleepers and even combination sleepers. Here is a quick summary of the various mattress types and who they are best for.
This type will be very comfortable to sleep on and will help keep you cool at night. They are bouncy but firmer than memory foam mattress.
We recommend this to people who want a bouncy mattress with good support.
Memory Foam Mattress
Memory foam is praised because it contours well to your body and helps reduce pressure points. People who want a mattress that hugs them but still offers great support will find this to be a great option.
These mattresses will have a layer of steel coils surrounded by other layers of foam. They will be very durable and maintain their bounce and cooling effect.
We recommend this type for those who like the traditional firm and bouncy mattress.
Any of the mentioned mattress types can be a pillow-top if it has a layer of soft material that has been sewn or stuffed in the cover. The result is that the sleeper is kept very comfortable.
If you are a lover of the soft pillow feel on your bed, then this is the best option for you.
We know that hybrids are a combination of the other types of mattresses. The kind of mix is supposed to address a certain need, for instance, memory, the foam-latex combo will keep you cool at night and are very bouncy.
We recommend this mattress for people who want the advantages of more than one type of material. It is a great all-purpose alternative
Other factors to consider have been well-illustrated in a short video by ‘The Doctors’ (on YouTube). Check it here to make sure you miss nothing.
People Who Should Choose Mattresses Under $500
Therefore, who do we recommend for these mattresses?
Especially in college, a great mattress will make a big difference. These mattresses will also last you through college and even beyond. You will have comfortable nights. Just don’t forget to wake up in the morning to go to class.
2. People starting out in life
Whether living in a studio apartment or midsized house, you need to be careful about how you spend your money. Investing in a mattress under $500 gives you the opportunity to spare some money for other needs.
3. Families with old mattresses
Often once young parents start raising children they tend to forget about themselves. Parents might burn out from all this stress and end up with mental fatigue. They stop caring about themselves and might get into unhealthy habits. Plus, they forget to buy a new mattress.
A great, affordable mattress is an important investment for both parents and their children. Remember, this is where you spend at least 8 hours of your day. Please make it worth the while.
Why Should You Invest In A Mattress Under $500?
You might still look at these mattresses and still think that because they get tagged below $500, they must be cheap.
The brands we have for you today offer great value. The reason you should invest in some of these mattresses includes:
At a price tag of $500 or below, this is as good as it gets. Sometimes Amazon will also place discounts on these products to encourage sales. Always be on the lookout for offers and discounts. You can even get a high-quality mattress with a discounted price below the $500 mark.
Some of the mattresses have the CertiPUR-US certification meaning you will be getting a product made from safe chemicals. You will also find that these mattresses have impressive durability.
If you are still using that old mattress that sinks unevenly, you might be hurting yourself in the long run. Some of these mattresses in the review offer excellent support for your back and neck as you sleep. Some have memory foam to help you sleep comfortably and remove excess heat. All need to spend for these bonuses is $500 or below.
So for this review, our top contender has to be the Best Price Mattress Memory Foam Mattress. This mattress comes from high-quality materials. Customers have said the feel is ‘cloud-like.' What makes the deal even better is the range of mattress sizes and thicknesses that you can pick from. Accompanying each of these vacuum-packed products is a 10-year warranty.
From this review, you should have a pretty clear idea of which mattress will best suit your needs. A few things to note are that:
- Watch out for the discounts offered by these products on Amazon. Often you will get great bargains that help you save even more
- These mattresses have high durability, but you should consider changing them every 6-10 years. Alternatively, once you can afford more top quality mattress at the $1000 point, be sure to invest in them.
Please let us know in the comment section if you have any recommendations or questions about your best mattress under $500. We are always happy to hear from you. Otherwise, take care!