Roadies out there will agree with me that nothing beats the thrill of living life on the fast track. Nothing is more beautiful than a thousand sunsets in a thousand different towns. Some people are born into this culture, and some want to start on the journey today.
That is why today we are talking about the best mattress for RVs. Whether you are just thinking of buying an RV (recreational vehicle) or want a serious upgrade to the factory mattress that came with your motorhome, you need to research more on the subject. At the end of the day, a good night sleep is what makes a great start to the day.
What Is An RV Mattress?
An RV mattress is found in motorhomes or recreational vehicles. They vary in sizes depending on the size of the car you have. Usually, they are smaller than your standard bedroom mattress. Many recreational vehicles (RV) will come with a rather hard and uncomfortable mattress set.
It is important for you to find the right mattress because it will be the difference between having a good sleep and waking up feeling sore.
Measurements For The RV Mattress
To find the right size for your RV mattress, you should observe the following details about the available bed space:
Measure the distance between one side (on the inside) of the bed space to the other inner side.
This is the longest length of the inner side of the bed space from on corner to the other corner on the same side
This is the distance from the resting areas of the mattress to the highest point (vertically) that you want the mattress to reach.
Please note that mattresses for your RV will be shorter than the standard bed mattresses, around six inches shorter. This difference means that you should also consider the kind of sheets you buy for the RV mattress.
Typically, you can find mattresses for RV in the following sizes:
- Twin Size: 38"x75"
- Three-Quarter Size (also known as an antique size): 48"x75."
- Full Size: 53"x75"
- Queen Short: 60"x75"
- Regular Queen: 60×80
- RV King: 72"x80"
- Regular King: 76"x80."
Unusual Bed Frames
You may notice, or you may have an RV with a curved bed frame or maybe have corners that have been cut up to make access to the bathroom. These bed frames will need you to have the mattress shaped to fit.
Options Regarding The RV Mattress
There are a few options for those who need to either buy or upgrade the current mattress.
Mattress vs. Topper
By far, the most popular mattress material is memory foam. The reason why memory foam is loved so much is that it adapts well to the contours of your body. It is also breathable and will reduce pressure points.
Those who might not afford whole foam mattresses might opt for foam toppers. These toppers are an inexpensive option and an excellent addition to the mattresses that come with these RVs.
When it comes to bed frames which fold up in RVs, it is important to have the right measurement. Getting a thick topper means your sofa bed will not fit properly. This is not so great because, over time, your frame might lose its integrity.
For pop-up camper beds, it is advisable to use a topper because of the thickness of the mattress. One challenge you might face is when collapsing the bed and pushing it back in. If you have a thick topper, the pop-up bed might not fit in properly.
If you happen to be picky with the choice of toppers, there are two recommendations; try memory foam or eggshell toppers. Compare to memory foam; eggshell toppers are generally less thick and cheaper. They will also not make the bed too thick to fit back in its position.
Let us take a closer look at the types of mattresses you can use for your RV
Type Of Mattresses
This is the traditional and most common type of mattress. These have few layers, for instance, a support foam and a memory foam. The layers are breathable and can help prevent your body from running hot while you sleep.
Other benefits associated with memory foam are reduced back pain and fewer pressure points as you sleep
The interesting thing about air mattresses is that they perform extremely well in camper vans and RVs. They have a soft foam top layer. The downside to using air mattresses is the cost involved.
A great addition to air mattresses is that you can adjust the firmness on each side of the bed simply by controlling the amount of air on each side. You can easily deflate and store the mattress which means you will have enough space for other things. This can be perfect if you have unexpected visitors.
Spring Coil Mattress
These innerspring mattresses provide much comfort. However, they are quite bulky. These mattresses can attract considerable condensation when the weather changes. Many RVs use platform beds, and it is likely that the moisture that accumulates might lead mold formation. In the end, you might be exposed to many health risks because of the mold.
However, if you have to look for such a mattress, you should find one that is made using high-quality materials. Ensure it has durable springs which will not become less bouncy quickly. Another alternative can be a pillow top spring bed because they come with an extra layer of cushioning.
Our friends at RVgeeks (on Youtube) have a video summary of what to look for when replacing or buying your RV mattress. Check it out here
Review Of The Best Mattress For RV
After knowing about the options, you have for an RV mattress, let us now take you through a selection of the best choices in the market
- There is a 10-year warranty on every product
- The bio foam feels great to sleep on
- There is no chemical smell once the mattress gets unpacked
- Very affordable compared to others in the same category
- Comes in a small package that is easy to transport
- Does not take too long to expand once opened
- Some customers found it to be a little too soft
- The quality of fabric is questionable
- It might make turning difficult, especially for larger people
- Some found the mattress firmness a problem to them
This mattress comes with a 3-inch thick memory foam, 2-inches of pressure-relieving foam and 5 inches of high-density support foam. These comfortable layers make the mattress a preferred option by many RV enthusiasts. The foam used is CertiPUR-US certified therefore you get assured of high durability and performance. This particular model is Short Queen, but the company offers more size options including Twin, Full, Queen and King
The memory foam gets made from plant oil, and therefore it is healthier than the ones made from traditional fossil fuels. It is very breathable and will adapt well to the contours of your body for the best sleep. The mattress is also easy to compress and transport to the customers.
- Made from high-quality CertiPUR-US certified foam
- Cozy 4-layer construction makes the mattress cool to sleep on
- Washable cover is very convenient
- Customers reported a reduced amount of back pain
- Comfortable memory foam performs superbly
- Within the 120-night sleep trial period, users can return the mattress if they feel it is not for them
- Some customers complained that the mattress becomes a lot less durable after nine months of use
- The stitching on the cover is of average quality, and you should handle it with care
- Some customers also found the mattress to be too firm. Ideally, after a couple of weeks of usage, the mattress should ease up.
What is great about this mattress from Dynasty Mattress is the level of detail put in the cover. The cover houses a 3-inch memory foam, dual 2-inch pressure relief foam (with cool Airflow technology) as well as a 5-inch support foam. Looking closer at the cover, it has a high-quality top together with suede details at the corners. It has a zipper. Therefore, you can take it out and wash it anytime.
Value for money
You can get the mattress in six different sizes which are Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, Queen RV and California King. For the Queen RV model, you get it with two gel foam pillows for free. These pillows match the color of the mattress cover itself.
- Soft, durable quilted cover
- Customers love the firmness and support offered by this mattress
- You can flip the mattress for even wear. Therefore, you can expect some good mileage from your mattress
- Each mattress comes with an attractive 10-year warranty
- Customers loved that the mattress is affordable
- The lightness makes it ideal for driving around with it without much hassle.
- Some customers have found the mattress to be a little too firm
- Some have also pointed out that some mattresses come in the wrong dimensions.
This mattress is appealing for those who do not have a preference for memory foam mattress. It contains heavy gauge steel coils which help in relieving pressure and isolating movement on the bed. The different layers of the mattress are covered in a fire-retardant barrier for safety purposes.
Small mattress, big comfort!
Even with a small 6 inches of thickness, you will feel good sleeping on this mattress. Additionally, it comes compressed for easy carrying. For RV fans, this is always a handy feature.
- 30-night sleep trial plus a 3-year limited warranty
- The mattress is very inexpensive
- Lightweight and easy to carry in your RV
- You can cut it to fit on smaller beds
- Customers complained of the chemical smell when the product is still new. Leaving it in a spacious area for up to 48 hours should make the odors fade away
- Some have found the mattress to be too firm
- Sometimes the foam can slide about on the bed.
Use this mattress as a topper for you are uncomfortable with the one that is in your RV. You should opt for it if your current mattress is sagging or has developed a soft spot where you sleep. You will immediately notice the difference in comfort once you use it. This mattress is inexpensive, and anyone can buy it to improve their lives.
Safe, high-quality foam
The foam provided by this company is PURGreen certified and is safe for you to use. It has also been made using safe chemicals. The foam also features a 33-pound compression which means it can provide excellent support for people with back pain as well. You can get it in five sizes which are Twin Extra Long, Full, Queen, King and California King.
- Very comfortable and helps align your spine during sleep
- Will keep you cool whenever you sleep on it
- Competitive price compared to others in the same
- High-quality materials used in the construction
- Some people have complained about the chemical smell after unpacking
- Customers with back pain problems have found the mattress to be too soft to offer the support they need
This memory foam mattress is a great bargain for those who need a decent upgrade at a competitive price. The great thing is that the memory foam used offered great contouring to your body so that you can sleep comfortably.
The foam is CertiPUR-US certified which means that it was made using safe chemicals. It comes in 3 layers, the first is 1-inch memory foam; the second is a 2-inch soft, breathable foam and the third is a 3-inch support foam. The result is a mattress that will keep your spine aligned through the night. The size options available for this 6-inch mattress are Queen, Full, and Twin.
Our best pick for this review has to be the Zinus Sleep Master Ultima Comfort Memory Foam 10 Inch Mattress, Short Queen. This particular mattress has great value for the money you spend on it. The memory foam gets made from safe and environmentally friendly materials which are harmless on your skin. We particularly loved the 10-year warranty that comes with each mattress as well as the rapid expansion of the mattress without any odors.
The Dynastymattress New Cool Breeze 12-Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress For Rv, Camper-Short Queen Size is a great competitor. It is quite expensive, but the awesome reviews on Amazon will tell you it is a great bargain.
We hope you have a pretty good idea of the best mattress for RV after going through our review.
Finally, it is important to ensure the mattress you buy for your RV has the proper fit and will survive the different areas you will be traveling to. Storage and care for the mattress are important factors which determine how long your mattress lasts.
Which mattress are you currently using in your RV and how is it holding up? Drop us a comment or question, and we will be glad to talk to you. See you in the next one!