Suffering from hip pain can be frustrating. It can be debilitating, especially in your sleep. It is inevitable that you will have sleep disruptions, and when you wake up the next morning, you will be in deep pain. Luckily, there are many ways to minimize the burden of such condition. One of the best is through using the right mattress topper.
If you are on the lookout for the best mattress topper for hip pain, we are here to extend a helping hand. Keep on reading the rest of this post and we’ll help you come up with the right decision. We’ll list down five of the products that will be worth your attention.
- What Causes of Hip Pain
- How Mattress Toppers Can Help
- What Is the Best Material for a Mattress Topper
- How to Choose the Best Mattress Toppers for Hip Pain
- Top Picks for the Best Mattress Topper for Hip Pain
What Causes of Hip Pain
Before anything else, let us first quickly discuss why you are having hip pain. Understanding the reasons is key to knowing how to address the problem. Hip pain is more common to women compared to men. Some of its most common causes include hip fractures, tendinitis hernia, and back issues. It is also common for people who had injuries or pinched nerves.
If you are into strenuous activity, there is also a likelihood that you will suffer from hip pain. For instance, if you walk or run a lot, your physical efforts can pressure the hips and can lead to pain.
The short video below will show you more about the most common causes of hip pain, which will be helpful in understanding your current situation:
How Mattress Toppers Can Help
If you have hip pain from the causes that have been mentioned above, the good news is that there are several ways to resolve it. Aside from changes in lifestyle and exercise, it will also help to invest in the right mattress topper. This will cradle your body as you sleep, providing the comfort and support that you need.
A lot of you may be contented with the usual innerspring mattress. However, they can create pressure in your hips and will inevitably make it painful. This is especially true if you are sleeping in a single position all through the night. A single part of the body will absorb all your weight, which will aggravate the problem.
With a mattress topper, you will enjoy the benefit of added support. At the same time, the cushioning will provide relief on the pressure points of the body. With this, it is no longer surprising that it addresses not only hip pain, but even back pain. Regardless of the toss and turns you make in your sleep, mattress toppers can provide pressure relief.
What Is the Best Material for a Mattress Topper
If you are on the lookout for a mattress topper that will be effective specifically for hip pain, make sure to find the right balance between firmness and softness. With this, memory foam and latex are two of the best options.
I personally believe that this is the best choice for a mattress topper. Made from polyurethane, it responds to the heat and pressure of the body, allowing the topper to provide a personalized comfort. It reduces the pressure between the body and the sleeping surface, which is exactly why it will be great in terms of addressing hip pain.
Another popular material of choice is latex. It can also provide impressive support and relief from hip pain. This is especially good if you are a side sleeper. Latex is durable and responsive. It is also worth noting that it is made from a natural material, which will make it great in terms of combatting allergies.
There are other materials that are commonly used for mattress toppers. Other choices include wool and feather. While they are exceptional when it comes to comfort, the problem is that they can be too soft. They may fail to provide the support that your hip needs.
How to Choose the Best Mattress Toppers for Hip Pain
To make it easier for you to decide which one will be the best choice, below are some of the most important questions that you should ask.
What is the size of the mattress topper?
Choose a size that will be perfect for the bed that you will have. If it is too small, it will not be able to provide the appropriate coverage. On the other hand, if it is too large, it will destroy the aesthetics of your bed. This will also make the mattress prone to slipping. To add, you may have a hard time getting on and off the bed.
Is there a cover included?
To be provided with the best bang for the buck, pick one that is already inclusive of a cover. The cover should be soft on the skin. With this, cotton is one of the best materials. Even the bottom of the mattress topper needs to have a cover and it must be slip-resistant. This will allow the topper to stay on the bed even if you move a lot when you are sleeping.
What is the right density and thickness?
When it comes to the technical specifications, you need to consider density, especially if it is made from memory foam. Higher density is better because it has more exceptional ability to conform to the shape of your body, and hence, minimizing the pressure on your hips.
Thickness is also important because it will dictate how supportive the foam will be. Most of the toppers will have a thickness between two to four inches. For heavier users, a thicker topper is better so that it will not easily shrink.
Is it hypoallergenic?
This is one thing that many people fail to consider despite its importance. Many materials can lead to a cough, cold, sneezing, and asthma, among other problems that can be caused by allergens. With this, choose a material that is made from natural components. It will also be good if the mattress topper can resist mold, mildew, and dust mites.
What are other people saying?
Before you make a final decision, it will also be best to consult with the opinions of other people. Take a look at their online reviews and pay attention to their real-life experiences. Learn from what they are saying about comfort, durability, and value for money, among other things. This will make it easier to narrow down the possibilities.
What is the warranty offered by the manufacturer?
If you have doubts and hesitations about one product, look at the warranty from the manufacturer. A longer warranty is better. This means that within the warranty duration, you can return the product to the manufacturer if it proves to be defective. Nonetheless, see to it that you abide by their terms to be eligible for their warranty privileges.
Top Picks for the Best Mattress Topper for Hip Pain
In this section, we will have a quick look at some of the notable features of the mattress toppers that are perfect if you are suffering from hip pain.
- Firm but comfortable
- Keeps the body cool
- Extensive warranty coverage
- May not last long
- Not firm enough for some users
- Hip pain will be a thing of the past if you invest in this memory foam mattress topper. This will make sure that you will have a restful sleep while providing the support that the body needs, especially your hips.
- From the features of this mattress topper, one of the most commendable is the fact that there is gel infusion in the elastic memory foam. This means that it can provide a cooling effect to guarantee better comfort. Even during the summer months, the gel will make you feel cool.
- It is also worth noting that this topper comes with the Featherlight Sleep System, an exclusive technology that has been developed by the company. In a nutshell, the latter is the reason why the bed is soft, providing the comfort that you need. Especially if you have hip pain, this is sure to provide you with a restful night.
- Lastly, this is also an exceptional product because it can provide you with peace of mind. This is possible through the 20-year warranty that is being offered by the manufacturer, which is hard to rival. Within two decades, your satisfaction is guaranteed.
- Made using high-density foam
- Does not easily become flat
- Has cooling technology
- Cover does not feel luxurious
- Do not be discouraged to buy this product only because it comes with an expensive price. If you take a look at its features, you will have good reasons to have it chosen. One that I personally like is that the foam is CertiPUR-US Approved, which means that it is made using non-toxic materials.
- The mattress topper comes with a thickness of 2.5 inches, which is good enough for most people with hip pain. To add, it has 3.5 pounds visco-elastic memory foam. It is lighter than most of the foams that are available. This also means that it can improve airflow, and hence, will significantly improve comfort in your sleep.
- You might also love how this foam is made from materials that are hypoallergenic, making it good for your health. It has anti-bacterial and anti-microbial properties that make it perfect for people with asthma and other allergy-related problems.
- As this mattress topper is made from memory foam, it will gently contour to the shape of your body. This eases the pressure on your hips, even if you are in bed for a long time. It provides customized comfort based on the weight and shape of your body.
- High-end and comfortable cover
- Excellent thickness and density
- Stays flat for a long time
- Sizing issues
- Short straps
- With a high-density memory foam and thickness of three inches, this is another mattress topper that is perfect for people who are suffering from hip pain. A denser foam will be more supportive, and hence, will provide the cushioning that is needed by your hip.
- The ventilated design of this mattress topper is another thing that makes this an exceptional product. The latter allows optimal air circulation. Even if it is made from solid foam, the gel component means that it will be breathable, keeping you cool all throughout your sleep.
- The cover of this mattress topper is made from a combination of 70% bamboo and 30% polyester. It is not only breathable, but also ultra-soft. It will never irritate the skin. There is also a slip-resistant bottom and straps, which means that the topper will stay in its place regardless of the movements that you make in your sleep.
- Lastly, you will also be impressed with how the manufacturer is offering a satisfaction guarantee that lasts for 60 days. This means that within two months, if you are unhappy in any way with the product, you can return it to the manufacturer and they will provide you with an unconditional refund.
The best mattress topper for hip pain can bring significant improvements in your sleep. This will provide you with the assurance of being more comfortable and rejuvenated when you wake up in the morning. To enjoy its many benefits, however, make sure to choose a product that can deliver top-notch quality.
If there is one that stands out from the products that have been mentioned above, I believe that it is Cloud9 Gel King 3-inch 100% Gel-Infused Memory Foam Mattress Topper. The gel infusion is one of its best features. This provides a cooling effect so that you will be more comfortable, while also providing a soft cushioning for your hip to be relieved from pain.