One-third of our life is spent sleeping. Unfortunately, for many people, it is not uncommon to suffer from sleep deprivation. The latter can be an outcome of different circumstances, but one of the most common is having an uncomfortable bed, which can result in suffering from lower back pain.
These days, with the introduction of innovative technologies, there should be no more excuse for you to suffer from lower back pain in your sleep. Every morning, you should wake up rejuvenated and not with a painful body. How is this possible? There is one solution that I can personally say would work – use the best mattress topper for lower back pain.
Many of you are probably clueless on which product will make the best choice. If you have no idea on what to buy, I suggest that you read this post first. We will let you know some of the top options in the market so that your money will not end up going to waste.
- Types of Mattress Topper
- Choosing the Best Mattress Topper for Lower Back Pain
- Care and Maintenance for Mattress Toppers
- Top Picks for the Best Mattress Topper for Lower Back Pain
Types of Mattress Topper
When talking about the type of mattress topper, we are actually speaking about the main material that is used. This is important because of its direct impact on durability, comfort, and the ability to relieve back pain. With this, the following are some of the most common materials that you will see:
- Memory Foam: This is the top choice for many buyers. The main material is polyurethane, a type of foam that conforms to pressure and shape of the body. This allows it to offer personalized comfort for the user. It is also excellent in regulating body temperature as it can encourage air circulation.
- Feather Bed: As the name implies, it uses the feather as fillings, which is why you can expect nothing but the best when it comes to softness. Some people, however, may find it to be not as supportive as other thicker materials.
- Wool: This is a hypoallergenic material. If you often suffer from a cough, cold, or sneezing, this is an ideal choice as it is made from a material that will not trigger allergies. During the hot months, it can keep you cool. On the other hand, during cool nights, it can keep you warm.
- Latex: These toppers are equipped with pin core holes. The latter are the ones that are responsible for absorbing the weight of your body. Similar to memory foam, it is also capable of providing a personalized contour for your highest level of comfort.
Choosing the Best Mattress Topper for Lower Back Pain
When I first shopped for a mattress topper, I was clueless on how to find the right one. The options are almost endless. To make the right decision, I have evaluated the different options based on the following factors:
I suggest that you pick a mattress topper that is not too soft or too firm. If the topper is too soft, your spine will not be properly aligned. On the other hand, if it is too firm, this can lead to pain in your lower back.
The right size of the mattress topper will depend on the size of the bed where you will use it. See to it that it will be perfectly fitted on the mattress of your bed frame. Also, think about your size to know how large is the topper that will be suited to your needs.
It is important because it determines the firmness of the mattress topper. A denser topper would mean that it is also firmer. To address lower back pain, the best mattress topper is one with a density of three to five pounds per square foot. It has a medium level of firmness.
I am not talking about the weight of the mattress topper. Rather, I am talking about your weight. For heavy users, look for denser foams. If the foam is too thin, this will not provide the support and comfort that your body needs. This can only make lower back pain worse.
Choose a mattress topper that will not produce a loud noise regardless of the tossing and turning when you are in your sleep. This is especially true if you sleep with your partner. If it creates noise, there will be disruptions in your sleep.
With the pressure that is applied by your body to the mattress topper, it is inevitable that it will shrink in time. Choose a product that does not easily go flat, regardless of your weight. To make it last longer, it is also important to pay attention to its maintenance.
If you want to have peace of mind, consider the warranty that is being offered by the manufacturer. Most will have a warranty that lasts for one to five years. Within the warranty period, if the product proves to be defective in any way, you can return it to the manufacturer, and they will issue a replacement. This will be a guarantee of your satisfaction.
Care and Maintenance for Mattress Toppers
Having the best mattress topper is not enough. This can provide relief from lower back pain, but the question is, how long will it be able to serve its purpose? To extend its functional life and to optimize the benefits that it can deliver, below are some of the most important things that you should do:
- One of the most important is to use a cover. This will protect the foam and will make it less prone to wear and tear. To add, this will also make the foam more comfortable to sleep on.
- Another good way to clean mattress topper is to use a vacuum cleaner. It helps in the removal of dust on the surface, which will be an excellent preliminary step in cleaning. When you are done vacuuming, spot treat the portion with visible dirt. Use a mild detergent for this and when you are done, rinse with water.
- Some mattress toppers may develop a foul odor over time. One of my secrets in getting rid of an unwanted smell is to dry the topper under the heat of the sun. This will air it out and will make the mattress topper smell fresher.
- If you have a memory foam mattress topper, do not use hydrogen peroxide. This will have a negative effect on the texture and color of the foam. Also, cleaning memory foam mattress topper with bleach is a big no!
- Rotate the mattress topper every now and then, preferably after a few months or once in a year. This will help to even out wear and tear. Otherwise, one portion of the foam may already shrink while the other side still remains firm.
- The short video below shows you how to clean deep a mattress, which is also applicable in cleaning a mattress topper:
Top Picks for the Best Mattress Topper for Lower Back Pain
In this section, we will briefly tackle some of the top products that you might want to consider and some of the reasons why they are perfect for people who often complain of suffering from lower back pain.
- Does not contain heavy metals
- Excellent dissipation
- Has a guarantee of satisfaction
- Does not come with a cover
- Too thin for some people
- This mattress comes with a two-inch gel memory foam. Some people, especially those who are heavier, may find it to be uncomfortable. Nonetheless, for most, this should be more than enough to provide relief on the pressure points, and hence, minimizing the likelihood that you will end up complaining of lower back pain.
- It is also worth noting that it is made using CertiPUR-US certified foam. This means that it has undergone stringent quality control. The materials used are free from toxic components. It is good not only for humans but even for the environment.
- Another thing that is worth commending in this product is the open cell structure. Have you ever had those nights wherein you wake up sweating and feeling hot? This can be resolved with the use of this mattress topper. It dissipates heat and regulates the temperature of the body, making sure that you will feel comfortable.
- Lastly, to provide you with peace of mind, you might also love the fact that the manufacturer is offering a 60-day money-back guarantee. Within such period, if you are unhappy in any way, you can return the foam, and the manufacturer will offer an unconditional refund. To add, the company is also offering a limited warranty that covers three years.
- Extensive warranty coverage
- Effectively relieves pressure points
- No chemical smell
- Can cause allergies
- Lacks density
- This memory foam topper comes with a thickness of four inches. If you are suffering from lower back pain, this will be a great choice. The comfort foam is pressure relieving. This is even made more comfortable by the quilted cover that is included.
- One thing that makes it different from most of its competitors is the smart shipping. With patented technology, the mattress undergoes efficient compression to reduce its size significantly. This makes it possible for the foam to be conveniently rolled in a box without having negative effects in its structural integrity.
- The memory foam that is used in this product utilizes the BioFoam technology. In this case, natural plant oil is used in the construction of the foam instead of petroleum. The natural materials are highly-effective in the elimination of odor and improvement of moisture absorption.
- Lastly, if you are having second thoughts, I believe that your mind will change after knowing that the manufacturer is offering 5-year worry free warranty. This is one of the best within the product category.
- Has excellent temperature control
- Supports back alignment
- Affordable price
- Has an odd odor for the first few days
- No cover is included
- This is another personal favorite when it comes to mattress toppers that are supportive and comfortable for the lower back. I like how it offers excellent ventilation. With the latter, you can enjoy improved air circulation. Say goodbye to sleep disruptions at the middle of the night only because you feel hot and sweaty!
- It is made from certified flexible polyurethane foam. To provide you with peace of mind, it has undergone stringent testing to make sure that the quality is top-notch. This can provide you with the assurance that there are no toxic chemicals and that it will not have any negative effect on indoor air quality.
- Some people might complain about the foul odor. Yes, this is one thing that I have personally experienced as well. However, the good thing is that within two to three days, the smell will be gone. I suggest that you open it in a room that is well-ventilated. Also, it will be good to leave it untouched for 24 hours before sleeping on it.
- Lastly, the manufacturer is extending a warranty that lasts for three years, guaranteeing that within such period, you will be happy with your purchase and that the memory foam topper will not be defective.
In sum, the best mattress topper for lower back pain is an essential for making sure that you will have a comfortable sleep. As with my case, I believe that this will help in lessening toss and turns. You will go to sleep quicker, and you will not wake up in the middle of the night. The best thing is that in the morning, your lower back will never be painful.
From the five products that we have briefly reviewed above, if there is one that stands out from the rest, it is Advanced Sleep Solutions Gel Memory Foam Topper. It has premium construction and made from materials that will last a long time. It also delivers impressive air circulation for a more comfortable sleep.